Years ago I attended a dinner where the hosts served the most amazing pasta salad I’d ever put in my mouth. I had never never thought of serving tortellini cold. Never. Ravioli was supposed to be hot, in my opinion. Yet, it was so surprisingly delicious I couldn’t believe my taste buds.
Not only was this dish so unique and different than any pasta salad I’d ever had before, it contained two of my most favorite pairings: basil pesto and sun dried tomatoes. I was in heaven. I think I ate my weight in pasta salad that night. Don’t judge.
But I must tell you, my friends, this story doesn’t have a happy ending. I forgot to ask the hostess before I left that night what the recipe was to this divine salad, and thus, left the dinner party missing a piece of myself.
Days later, I couldn’t for the life of me get the thing out of my mind. Food on most days occupies all the crevices of my brain, but this was different. Day, night, night and day I was thinking about this forsaken pasta salad which had left me speechless. And recipe-less. So, I decided to come up with my own little version of this famous tortellini pasta salad and voila.
All was right with the world, again.
And I was one happy girl.
- 1 package Cheese Tortellini
- 1 cup Frozen Sweet Peas
- ¾ cup Prepared Basil Pesto
- ½ cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Small Bunch Basil, chopped
- Cook cheese tortellini according to instructions. Half way through cooking time, throw in frozen peas.
- Once tortellini is cooked thoroughly, drain tortellini and peas and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- *Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before proceeding*
- In bowl with tortellini and peas, add pesto, sun dried tomatoes, shredded Parmesan cheese and chopped basil. Mix well together until fully combined and all ingredients are tossed evenly with pesto.
- Chill in refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to serving. Top with more shredded Parmesan cheese.
So… Maybe the story did end up so happy after all. Me with a bowl full of my favorite pasta salad. And I can make it any time I want.
This salad would be perfect for any get together this summer or year round! Enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out our other salads perfect for this summer!